Hi! My name is Kymberly Anne, I’m 20 years old and I’m from Singapore. I am very passionate about performing and so in love with the fact that TV shows and movies have the power to touch people. Naturally, I wanted nothing more than to be a part of that. When I was 15 years old in 2011, I heard about Premiere coming to Singapore so I decided to audition, and have since attended the Orlando programme twice- once in 2012 and again in 2015. I already thought the programme was amazing in 2012 but when I went again in 2015, I was blown away by the advancements Premiere had made to their programme in just three years.
Here are some of the highlights of the 2015 Orlando Programme:
- Participants are now trained by an acting coach from Premiere before attending the programme. In preparation for the programme in 2015, I was coached by one of Premiere’s acting coaches (Dru West). I had several half an hour sessions with him via Skype, in the months leading up to the programme, during which he worked with me on my monologues and commercials, giving me advice on how to improve.
- Participants are able to interact with celebrities and ask them questions. At the programme, I attended four celebrity intensives where I learnt about the experiences of these four actors in the industry. It was very insightful getting to know what it is like to be an actor, from going to auditions, booking jobs and eventually working on shows with different networks.
- This time around they also invited talent management companies from Singapore to scout for talents at the programme. This was definitely beneficial for me because I wanted to get some local exposure and now I’m signed to two companies in Singapore – both of which were a direct result of attending the programme in 2015.
The main takeaways of the programme:
- Premiere provided me with the opportunity to connect with a lot of other young performers from around the world. It is so amazing to have a group of friends who are striving for the same goals as you and who understand the struggles and celebrate the successes with you (via Facebook).
- Premiere equipped me with the appropriate skills for auditions. When I first started out acting, I didn’t think of anything other than having to perform the role, but after attending Premiere, I found out that there was a lot more to it than that. For example, I didn’t know that there was a “way” to walk into an audition. These are very important skills to have because the way you carry yourself at auditions will affect the outcome.
- With the help of Premiere, I filmed a TV show in LA (that is still in production) and met up with Jackie Reid from L’il Angels Unlimited, a talent management company in the US, who is interested in managing me.
Overall, I think that the things that I gained from attending Premiere, I wouldn’t have been able to get anywhere else. The experience was truly one of a kind and I’d like to thank Premiere for the opportunities it has given me. If you are really interested in pursuing a career in the entertainment industry and would like to learn more about it, I highly recommend attending the Premiere programme!